A Choice

I discoverd I have a choice. I can either study or not study. Pretty intense, I know. But that revelation has helped me to recognize that I do have time to update the blog and let everyone know how we are doing.

A lot has happened since I last wrote. I was offered an additional ten hours of work (teacher's assistant) at the University of Kentucky (UK). I accepted the offer and now am on campus five days a week! Sometimes it is draining, being gone from John for long hours, driving an hour a day, etc but I am enjoying the blessings of the Lord. The 20 hours that I'm required to work pay for my health insurance, the rest of my tuition, and a stipend. Basically, I get paid to go to school. I am so excited!

I work for two ladies, Ruth and Dr. Gnatuk, and both require very different things from me. Ruth wants me to simply grade papers and return them to her. I think I've only seen her five times this semester. When I first met her she said "All I want you to do is grade papers. You can do it here, take them home and grade them in your pajamas..I just need you to get them back to me graded." I was surprised. I thought I would be tortured or something! What ends up happening is I work for her maybe two hours one week and then don't work any hours for her another. That has been a huge blessing. Dr. Gnatuk's work is more thought provoking. She is developing a parenting program similar to the one I worked with during my internship in Montgomery. I have volunteered to create the session on child development: physical, cognitive, emotional, and something else (as you can see I haven't gotten to that part yet :). This requires a lot of time researching materials that parents could benefit from and then translating the materials into a level they can understand and read. Dr. Gnatuk has several years of training in parent and child services and I'm enjoying working for her and gleaning from her knowledge. She reminds me a little bit of Mrs. Janet Flemings mother. That makes me like her.

John has been very successful at Asbury. He just recently took his first exam in seminary and it lasted three hours! He is learning a lot from his professors as well as the people in our community. Of the classes he is taking, I think I've heard the most about the inductive bible study covering Matthew. He will be sitting at the table, quietly reading and then out of nowhere he just starts praising the Lord. This has occured many times when he sees something he has never seen in scripture. I get pretty excited too. I love learning pieces of what he is learning. It is fascinating learning how scriptures were written. We will have to have a mini-class when we go home so we can show you guys what we are talking about and share our knowledge with you!

Also, John and I are going to a church in Lexington that is forming a college/grad school ministry. The leader asked John and I to go to a meeting they were having with the "vision group." We didn't exactly know what to do with the opportunity since we were still visiting churches but we felt the Lord say to go and pray with them. That was two sundays ago. This past sunday the leader came up to us again and asked if I wanted to help him with the music during the sunday morning ministry time (that's when the group meets) and he asked if I would be interested in helping him with worship during chapel at the Seminary. Again, I didn't know what to do..I'm still not sure what to do. According to him (by the way, his name is Matt Lews), he heard from a reliable source that my voice is outstanding. Yikes! I don't know who could have told him. So, then he asked us to come to another vision group meeting this coming Sunday. John and I are still not sure of where we'll go to church so we have not made any solid commitments, but we are continuing to pray for them and participate in the ministry and the vision group.

On a side note, Matt Lewis and his wife (Barbin) are from Lousianna. Once they found out we were from Alabama they said "We've got to have a fish fry!!" They were so excited. If all goes as planned, we will be eating fish with them Friday night. It is interesting how they have taken to us and welcomed us so warmly into their circle. I believe it was the Lord that we meet them. I had been wanting to talk to an older women and learn from a couple who has been married longer than us. I think they are in their mid-3o's and they have two little boys (who are so cute). Oh, on an extra side note- they introduced us to a couple who were from Auburn and the man was actually aubie tiger when he was in college. That was a fun fact :)

2 Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

fish fries and singing jobs! life sounds exciting for you guys :) i wish i were up there studying with you guys.
much love to you both,
s.

Claire said...

Wow! So many great things happening with you two! I am so excited to hear about your job and John's schooling- God seems to be manifesting his love for you in such wonderful and diverse ways!

Powered by Blogger.