Late Posts are Better than No Posts

At least, that is what I (John) think. I never posted after TheCall so I am going to conclude this post with a section on one thing that God spoke to me there, but I want to start by giving you a briefing on Laura’s and my Fall semester. Also, there will be pictures of some of our July/August adventures as soon as we can find time to go through them.

Laura is taking one regular class (Statistics), and working on a Thesis that will consume most of her time (it deserves a separate post). She is also working for two professors again as a full-time teaching/research assistant. I will be taking 4 courses (Inductive Bible Study on Romans, Exegesis of Ephesians, Public Speaking, and Theology and Practice of Healing), and I will continue to be a research assistant for the Center for Revitalization. We will let you know more about these later.

When Laura and I visited TheCall June 6-8, we also visited a church called Grace Center, and the speaker, Banning Liebscher, gave a sermon entitled “Do All that is in Your Heart” based on 1 Samuel 14:1-14. One of the challenges that Banning gave was to start doing whatever it is that we have heard God call us to. He said, “If you want to build an orphanage, start sending money to Africa.” I was convicted by the idea that I need to begin really investing in the things that God has called me to do. I have been feeling as though I will be in a position of training church leadership sometime in the future, but I have put it off since I did not think that I could train church leaders until I had been one for a while. I figured that it would be a ministry of mine much later in life. However, I have been challenged to believe that “God does not live in reality,” and if He calls me to do something then it does not need to be realistic. In fact, if it is not something beyond what we could dream up and accomplish on our own, it is probably not God anyway (because isn’t He bigger than us?!). Although I may not have an official ministry to church leaders for a long time (only God knows), I am going to be much more intentional about taking opportunities that I have at seminary to minister to the future church leaders that are everywhere around here. Since this sermon, I have been encouraging leaders that I see every chance I get. I even took a guy out for lunch at Subway one day when God spoke to me about him, and we discussed the plans that he has for growth in the little church he has just been assigned. God has grown it from 8 to somewhere close to 30 in average attendance over the last 2 months. I am excited to have been a part in the ministry, and I look forward to all that God has planned this year.

“Stay tuned to jlarnold.blogspot.com and we will be right back with pictures after this message from our sponsor.”

3 Thoughts:

Laura and John said...

That was such a good post, John! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and our dear supporters!!

I love you!!!!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hey JLarnold. Thanks for the word of encouragement. We sure miss you very much. Jil

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady!! We miss,miss,miss you too!! Come visit anytime : )
Love,
L & J

Powered by Blogger.