"Absence...

...makes the heart grow fonder" is what they say, but I have discovered that part of that process is to make us keenly aware of what we used to have. That can be good or bad.

The last time that I (John) fasted food for an extended period of time, my hunger made me keenly aware of when I normally eat meals (not a bad thing). I also became keenly aware of a poor attitude that liked to place my needs before others (very bad). Here is another example: I dislocated my shoulder while I was in college, and I was unable to do much of the physical activity that was normal for me. Since it was my right arm and I am right-handed, sitting in a desk taking notes for two or three hours became very painful. The absence of my normal abilities clearly highlighted all of the regular functions of my right arm.

Tonight, I am sitting in Wilmore, KY, where I am attending a class about John Wesley's Theology for a week. Unfortunately, Laura was not able to come with me on this trip, and I am feeling her absence. It is sort of like not having food for a week (though I hope that I don't discover any bad attitudes) or like missing my right arm. There is nothing physical which could be removed from me which would impact my life more than the absence of my sweet wife. So, this post is a tribute to her (thank you, Laura, for your constant love which pervades every part of my life!), but I also want to recognize the rest of my family and friends with whom God has called Laura and I into relationship because I miss you all too.

At my lunch break today, I was considering the broader vision of ministry which God has called me to, and what struck me as imminently important was the fact that the calling is not simply mine. The potential impact that Laura and I might have on the world is far superior to what I could do alone, and the impact which Laura and I might have in conjunction with you, family and friends, is exponentially greater than what we could do alone. As my dearest Mom-in-law would sing, "When we all work together, what a day of rejoicing that will be!"

Thank you all for journeying with us and for carrying the good message of God to the world with us!

Finally, below is some comic relief about working together in the academic world:
from http://www.lab-initio.com/

1 Thoughts:

Sarah W K said...

what a great post, John! i especially like the tribute to your wife--you're so sweet! i am proud to have you in my family.

Powered by Blogger.