
The chair of my committee asked me to "free associate" my thoughts about my topic. What interest me about it? What are all my thoughts on it (now, that is the toughy. How do I get out every thought I have on this topic? I'm beginning to find that I don't have many or at least they are hiding from me every time I sit down to write). I have been doing other writings though! The only problem with that is they aren't as important as my thesis proposal, which I need to turn in so I can begin the actual thesis.
The other writing I've been doing are for a professor I work for at UK. She is a cooperative extension child development specialist, and as such she has to produce information releases to the head office each semester. These news releases get sent to all of the cooperative extensions across Kentucky and used in pamphlets, newsletters, or other sorts of publications. So, my job in all of this? Well, last semester I got to think up some topics and write a few releases using topics such as internet safety, parenting as a preventative method against teen pregnancy, and how to have fun with your child. This semester I got to write three blurbs about adolescents and one on school-aged children. I've really been into the importance of parents spending time with their teens, so one news release was fashioned with that topic in mind. Here's an example of one of my writings (keep in mind, we have to write at approximately a fourth grade level because we don't know the level of education completed by the recipients):
The Best Model You Can Be
Have you ever thought about being a model? You might not consider yourself one, but that is exactly what you are to your teenager. You are a role model to your youngster; as a parent you have a unique role that no one else on this earth can fill. Your teen is watching you and learning about life from you. Part of your special role as a parent is to nurture in a way that only you can do. Nurturing takes many different forms, the most important one being the time you commit to your growing child.
Teenagers often give the impression that they do not need anyone, but the truth is often the complete opposite. During the early teen years, they develop a desire to become more independent, which becomes a common theme throughout the middle and late teenage years. The independence they express is a natural part of growing up and maturing into an adult, but don’t let it fool you. Your relationship, attention, and love are vital to the development your child will experience during these years.
The time spent with your teen will affect him in several ways. Research has shown that success in school is linked to the health of the relationship teens have with their parents. Children who form a secure attachment to their parents during the early stages of development tend to be more stable later on in life. However, it is never too late to forge a close relationship. So, you see, it is no small thing that you make time to spend with your teen.
Sometimes it helps to set aside a day and time each week that is reserved just for your family. If you already have such a routine in place, a special one-on-one time with your teen is a great idea. Here are a few family fun activities that your teen may enjoy helping to plan:
- When sharing dinner together, turn it into a “night on the town” experience by creating homemade menus and table decorations.
- Make time for exercise outings each night. Let a different family member pick their activity of choice for everyone to take part in.
- Set a part one night each week as family night and let this be a time for playing games, pretending to live in the “old-timey days” without modern conveniences, going out to eat, or simply exploring the neighborhood.
- Create a family project that everyone works on together each week, such as picking an interesting topic and spending time at the library or on the internet learning more about the topic one week and another week writing down what you discovered.
Keep in mind as you begin or continue the task of raising your teen, that there is no one else that can take your role as a parent. You have the unique privilege of watching your teen develop and also of having your teen watch you, growing from the lessons learned from you.
References:
Covey, S. (1997). The seven habits of highly effective families. New York: Golden Book Publishing Company.
Riddell, C. and Wallingford, K. (1984). Helpful hints for fun-filled parenting. New York: Thomas Nelson Publishers.
There you have it! One of my very own information releases sent in to Kentucky's Cooperative Extension : ) Now if only I could get my thesis written out in such a nice manner.

1 Thoughts:
nice work!
the thesis thing is not fun. i know.
Post a Comment